Sunday, April 26, 2015

Space Pirates!

I have been putting together a bunch of miniatures intended for some kind of space pirate crew. These would probably work as a Rogue Trader and his crew as well, but I like to think of them as straight-up pirates.

The one on the left is holding a Space Marine Auspex. I figure he's the one with the 'treasure map' and knows where to go. The head is from a Warhammer Flagellant, the torso is from the Mordheim boxed set. Cape from a Skaven from the Mordheim set as well. Arms and legs come from Imperial Guard bits. Pouches and holsters are a mix of Mordheim, Imperial Guard, and 1:35 scale pouches.


The middle figure is the captain. The body comes from a Reaper Bones figure. I replaced his bendy and kind of crappy sword with one from some Undead skeleton kit (Mantic maybe?) and some plastic bits. The hilt probably needs a bit more work, and maybe some more detail on the "powered sword" wire that runs down the blade. The servo-skull is basically unmodified, it's just glued on to his shoulder. I added an extra cable made from guitar string for a little more strength in the connection with his shoulder. I think I may have to paint the skull bright colors, like it's a parrot on his shoulder. :)


The captain's hand has been replaced with one that I had left over from a 2nd Edition / Space Crusade Space Marine Scout. The I added a guitar-string cable from the pistol to a canister on his back. No idea where the canister is from. I had removed a poorly detail pistol from his waist, and replaced it with...whatever that thing is from the original beaky Space Marine kits. It looks like some kind of tricorder or something, so I added a seal to it to appease its machine spirit. The dagger is from one of the greatcoat troops from Wargames factory. More 1:35 scale pouches on the back (one anyway).


The beastman crewman is made from some Ungor legs (same source as the IG beastmen from my last post), combined with a torso and arms from the Mordheim sprue. Sword and hand is from a Space Marine scout kit, and the bolter is a super-chunky one from years past. I wanted him to look like he was holding the biggest, loudest gun he could find. I added a big pouch on to his back from the beaky Space Marine kit to cover up his bare cheeks and fill the gap where the coat is open. I think he needs some more stuff and details, but I'm not sure what yet. Maybe some details on his coat to dress it up a little. He does have a grenade attached to his belt/loincloth though.


The bases are kind of an experiment. I made a rubber mold of some old OOP bases and a few from Secret Weapon (I think) months ago, and had done some questionable resin casts with them. The resin was old and maybe not mixed correctly, so they came out kind of gummy. These are not those bases. These are made with the same molds but cast using Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty. They're a little bubbly, and will require some cleanup, but they'll do just fine for a bunch of dirty space pirates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment